6.12.05

New Tory - II

But perhaps the most surprising revelation was David Cameron's penchant for "miserable" music by Radiohead, Pulp and The Smiths - all well-known critics of the Conservatives. Smiths singer Morrissey once recorded a song about Margaret Thatcher called "Margaret on the Guillotine".
Mr Cameron said he found music by these bands "strangely uplifting".
"The more depressing the better," he added, describing his music tastes.

Manchester News:
I have been to Salford once but as a massive fan of the Smiths I am making it a priority to go to the Salford Lads' Club.

[nota: a fotografia deste clube aparece no The Queen is Dead]
The Guardian:
"The last album I bought was Hot Fuss by the Killers," says Cameron, whose deeply presentable appearance hides the fact that he spent much of his adolescence listening to bands like the Clash and the Specials. "The Killers are very good and quite energetic, and I tend to listen to that kind of music in the car to forget about work and keep me awake. The Snow Patrol album is also excellent, and I like Radiohead." (...)
"I'm a great believer in individual freedom, so while the Smiths or Bob Dylan are quite anti-establishment they are also about self-expression and all the things I do stand for. I said I liked the Smiths in aninterview and received all these emails suggesting I must be a complete idiot if I didn't see how anti-establishment they were and against people like me. But the Smiths have great lyrics and good guitar playing. And I like provocative opinions whether I agree with them or not."