30.9.06

A actualidade de Ludwig von Mises (3)

I thus had arrived at this hopeless pessimism that for a long time had burdened the best minds of Europe.... This pessimism had broken the strength of Carl Menger, and it overshadowed the life of Max Weber….

It is a matter of temperament how we shape our lives in the knowledge of an inescapable catastrophe. In high school I had chosen the verse by Virgil as my motto: Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito (“Do not yield to the bad, but always oppose it with courage”). In the darkest hours of the war, I recalled this dictum. Again and again I faced situations from which rational deliberations could find no escape. But then something unexpected occurred that brought deliverance. I could not lose courage even now. I would do everything an economist could do. I would not tire in professing what I knew to be right.
Mises citado por Rothbard no artigo Ludwig von Mises: Scholar, Creator, Hero